Friday, September 18, 2009

Whatcha reading Jessica?

Yesterday I started Dan Brown's Lost Symbol.  So far so good... if you liked any of his other writing.  Dan Brown sure can deliver a fast paced fun read that makes you feel like you are just a little smarter then you really are.  It is also a breath of fresh air from all the Vampire novels, not that I didn't read and like Twilight, but Dan Brown shows you that there are still authors out there that can write.  

It makes me wonder though, with everyone saying they don't have enough time to do the things they want, how do so many people have time to read books that are not well written or have a deep well thought out plot?  Where are the Jane Austens and Alexandre Dumas of our time?  What books will be passed down from our generation as the classics?  If Twilight is the best out there then we are an uneducated people.  Just about any 18 girl could have written those novels better then they turned out and yet they are NY Times Best Sellers.  What does that say about use? (I do mean us, as I wrote earlier I read and like the books.)

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. What a good idea for a blog! I'll be looking forward to reading more!

    I do agree: where are the classics? But they are out there, somewhere. I have seen "Time Traveler's Wife" on lists of modern classics. We both agree that one is well written and captivating. I'm sure there are more. I guess it could be equated to Louisa May Alcott's time. She wrote those murder and mystery novels that were popular, but not very intellectual. But then began writing what she knew about--her family and village life and hit on her "classics". There are always people wanting "fluff" and someone is willing to write it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I didn't know that about Louisa May Alcott.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Shelley was 18 when she wrote "Frankenstein" and when you read it, you can tell. :-) It became a classic anyway...Can't say I can think of any modern authors from the USA classic worthy, but there are a few from around the globe with great talent (Isabel Allende, Milan Kundera, Jostein Gaarder, and Margaret Atwood to name a few).
    I LOVE it that you've started a personal blog - great background, too! Can't wait to read your next post. :-)

    ReplyDelete